Long Island Facts continued:
- Thirteen thousand five hundred years ago the Bretz floods carved a passage from the Columbia River to Willapa Bay at Bear River. Evidence of this in the form of quartzite, fossil wood and agates carried from east of the Cascades may be found on the beachs.
- Gravel for the Ocean Beach highway built in the 1920’s came from the west shore of Long Island.
- Logging operations on Long Island began during the 1880’s and lasted until 1986.
- The Columbus Day storm of 1962 knocked down 15,000 board feet of timber. Nine and a half miles of road were built by the refuge and Weyerhaeuser Co. to salvage the trees.
- In 1983 a land-for-timber exchange with Weyerhaeuser Co. gave the refuge ownership of more than 1600 acres of land, inluding the 119-acre old-growth western cedar grove. Thanks to the efforts of Congressman Don Bonker, Congress appropriated funds for an additional 155 acres, thus preserving 274 acres of ancient coastal forest.
- Location, location! Farthest from the water, at a low elevation, logistically the most difficult area to log, the Long Island cedar grove survived the logging era.
- Where did the name Diamond Point originate? Hint: It doesn’t have anything to do with glinting oyster shells. Is there treasure hidden on the island? Join this writer on the Long Island excursion on July 22 to learn more about its history.
Sources: Shoalwater Willapa by Douglas Allen, Seattle Times story by Lucile McDonald