Willapa National Wildlife Refuge is over 15,000 acres of tidelands, temperate rainforest, ocean beaches, and small streams. It also includes several rare remnants of old growth coastal cedar forest. Preserving habitat for spawning wild salmon, hundreds of thousands of migrating shorebirds, and threatened species such as the western snowy plover and marbled murrelet, the refuge is a great place to see what the Pacific Northwest looked like over 100 years ago.
Planning your visit
Willapa National Wildlife Refuge consists of several units in southwest Washington state around south Willapa Bay and at the tip of Long Beach Peninsula. The Riekkola unit is located at the southern end of Willapa Bay. Leadbetter Point is at the very northern end of the Long Beach Peninsula, and Long Island is in Willapa Bay. Tarlatt Slough is south of 95th Street, just off Sandridge Road, on the Long Beach Peninsula. Teal Slough is located just north of the Refuge Headquarters.
REMINDER: No dogs are permitted at any unit of the Refuge, including trails and parking lots. For the protection of wildlife and the enjoyment of other visitors, please leave your pets at home. During waterfowl hunting season, dogs may be used to retrieve downed birds while hunting waterfowl to prevent waste.
The Refuge Headquarters is located near mile marker 24 on Highway 101.
From Portland, OR, three different routes will lead to the Refuge Headquarters:
- Highway 26 West to Highway 101 North, crossing from Oregon to Washington at Astoria and continuing north on Highway 101
- Interstate 5 North to Washington State Route 4 West at Longview, to Highway 101 South
- Highway 30 West to Highway 101 North, crossing from Oregon to Washington at Astoria
From Seattle, WA, follow these directions to Refuge Headquarters:
- Drive south on Interstate 5, take Exit 104 and follow state Route 8 to Montesano.
- From Montesano follow State Route 12 to U.S. 107, then pick up Highway 101 and drive to Raymond and South Bend.
- It is about 25 miles from South Bend to Refuge Headquarters.