To promote the preservation, awareness, and appreciation of our environment, the Friends of Willapa National Wildlife Refuge offers scholarships to students pursuing careers in fish and wildlife management, environmental education, conservation, and related fields.
The Friends of Willapa National Wildlife Refuge is a registered 501(c)(3) corporation engaging in educational, scientific, and civic activities. The group was established in July 2000 to provide support and assistance to Refuge programs and to enhance awareness and appreciation of the Willapa National Wildlife Refuge.
Friends is offering a $1,500 scholarship awarded to qualified applicants pursuing careers in fish and wildlife management, environmental education, conservation and related fields. The scholarship is paid directly to their chosen college, to be used for tuition, books, and fees.
Who Can Apply
Scholarships are available to Pacific and Wahkiakum Counties, Washington, graduating high school seniors with a demonstrated 3.0-grade point average or better and completion of the application requirements. Scholarships will not be awarded to a student receiving a full scholarship from another source.
What Is Required
The following items are required as part of the application and must be received before the deadline of April 15th. Applications not meeting all requirements or received late will not be considered.
- Completed application form
- Copy of the letter of acceptance to an accredited school
- A complete high school transcript of grades and extracurricular activities including the current semester’s coursework and extracurriculars. The extracurricular activities may be submitted as a separate document.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, including one from your guidance counselor
- A typed 250- to 300-word essay about your anticipated future role in fish and wildlife management, environmental education/ conservation, or related fields
Do not include materials that are not required.
Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
Fully completed applications must be received by April 15th.
Applicants need to print out the application form below, fill it in, and send it with the other required items listed on the application:
When and Where
The successful applicants will be notified before the end of the school year. Selection will be based upon the merit of the application without regard to race, gender, color, or religion.
Or, if need be, mail to:
FRIENDS OF WILLAPA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
PO BOX 845
Ocean Park, WA 98640
For more information contact your local school advisor.